Graco 4Ever DLX 4-in-1 Review – Worth the Hype?
Table of Contents
When luxury and high-end value becomes a basis for a car seat for you, the Graco 4Ever DLX 4-in-1 car seat is an option to consider.
But let’s not start from this angle.
The Graco 4Ever is a 4-in-1 convertible car seat that features usage in 4 modes with extensive usage in each mode:
- Rear-facing: 4 lbs. – 40 lbs.
- Forward-facing: 22 lbs. – 65 lbs.
- High-back belt-positioning booster seat: 40 lbs. – 100 lbs.
- Backless belt-positioning booster seat: 40 lbs. – 120 lbs.
This offers you move value in the long term, and you may only have to use 1 car seat for your child.
Basis Of This Graco 4Ever® DLX Review and Why You Can Trust the Assessment
So far, I have reviewed other car seats and baby products from my research, personal experience, and usage.
The Graco 4Ever comes to me as different from other models with its features. I’ve spent several hours researching this product, reading feedbacks, and assessing the features.
Beyond what the manufacturer claims about this model, I can tell you more that can help your decision-making process beyond words of mouth (of the manufacturer) and save you time searching further. Make sure to read up to the “detailed insight” section in this review.
This review is devoid of bias and sentiment and is as blunt as it should be.
Graco 4Ever Car Seat Review
If you are in a hurry to know what my assessment is, here are the highlight of the pros and cons of the Graco 4Ever car seat.
Pros and Cons
Unbiased Review on the Graco 4Ever DLX 4-in-1 Car Seat
This car seat doesn’t give you all the ‘luxury’ you would imagine for a car seat pegged at this price. However, the several other features, especially the following two, gives you a good run for your money:
- Easy installation features
- Easy to remove the car seat cover
Nonetheless, there are complaints of discomfort when using the car seat in rear-facing. This is due to wrong installation by some parents. The car seat comes with 6 recline positions – 3 positions for rear-facing – to allow you to install it to fit in your car and give your child that comfort of positioning their head safely.
The car seat manual will help you get the installation right for absolute satisfaction.
Graco 4Ever DLX 6-Recline Positions
- Recline position 1 – rear-facing – perfect for newborn
- Recline position 2 – rear-facing
- Recline position 3 – rear-facing
- Recline position 4 – forward-facing – children weighing less than 40 lbs.
- Recline position 5 – forward-facing – children weighing less than 40 lbs.
- Recline position 6 – forward-facing – children weighing over 40 lbs.
- Recline position 6 – highback and backless booster
Table 1: Graco 4Ever DLX 4-in-1 Specifications
20D X 24H X 21.5W (inches)
23 lbs. (heavy)
Recommended Weight Range
4 – 120 lbs. (really wide)
Recommended Height Limit
Rear-facing Weight Limits
min. 4 lbs.;
max. 40 lbs.
(enough room for growth)
Rear-facing Height Limits
19 - 49 inches
Forward-facing Weight Limits
min. 22 lbs.;
max. 65 lbs.
Forward-facing Height Limits
29 - 49 inches
Highback belt-positioning Booster Seat Weight Limits
min. 40 lbs.;
max. 100 lb.
Backless belt-positioning Booster Seat Weight Limits
min. 40 lbs.;
max. 120 lb.
Belt-positioning Booster Seat Height Limits
min. 43 in.;
max. 57 in.
Life span (expiration)
10 years from the date of manufacture
(sticker on back of the car seat)
(extra value for money)
Table 2: Graco 4Ever DLX Seat Features
Ease of use
Comfortability for a Child
Longevity and Suitability
Who is it best for?
New parents and growing families who need a car seat that offers much value in the long term.
Quick Overview of Key Decision-making Factors for a Convertible Car Seat
Here is a quick overview of key decision-making factors to help you decide if this Graco 4Ever 4 in 1 convertible car seat is the right one.
Outrightly, an all-in-one car seat caters to your child’s car seat needs from infancy to near adolescence, needing you not buy another one. However, you need to be sure you’re making the right choice of a seat from the onset.
- Installation features: this is perceived as the most difficult challenge in securing a car seat in a vehicle. Depending on your car, you want to ensure your vehicle has the features to install a car seat in any position. Some manufacturers make installation super easy by including extra features to enhance the process.
- Compatibility with a vehicle: this has to do with the size of your car and how many seats you’ll want to be installed in the back seat. Most convertible car seats are big, bulky, and take up space. You need to check the seat’s dimension and match it with the size of your vehicle seat. A car seat base must take 80% of the vehicle seat.
- Size: as a new or first-time parent, you may want to be carrying your child in their seat often. A convertible car seat does not offer that luxury as it’s meant for a more permanent usage in a car. You may want to consider starting with an infant seat which is lightweight and convenient to carry.
- Ease of usage: beyond the safety purpose a car seat offers, it also has to be easy to use, such as getting out your child easily, removing the car seat cover quickly, and many more. This is one aspect to pay attention to when choosing a convertible car seat.
- Comfort and growing room space: you need that extra comfort for your little bundle and enough room for growth. On the other hand, for preemies, you want to consider car seats with newborn inserts to accommodate a tiny baby and still give that comfort.
- Weight and height requirement: many states’ car seat laws require that children ride in a particular seat position for a specific age according to their weight and height. It would help if you were conversant with your state of residence car seat laws. You are usually also required to follow the car seat manufacturer’s weight and height limits requirements.
- Safety features: this is coming last since every car seat must pass federal safety standards; as such, all car seats are safe to use. Nonetheless, some parents desire even more safety assurance. Many car seat manufacturers exceed the federal standards and even add more safety features to enhance a child’s protection.
Table 3: Comparing the Factors above with What the 4Ever DLX Offers
|Key Decision-making Factors||Graco 4Ever Features||Verdict|
Compatibility With Vehicle
Excellent for regular cars
Ease of Usage
Comfort And Growing Room Space
Weight And Height Requirement
Detailed Insight Based on the Features – PROS and CONS
Beyond what the manufacturer says and what we can see from the features, what more have parents who have used this car seat said about it?
Does it meet its true expectations, or is it just a money bag seat with no actual value? Is it worth the hype?
Here is a detailed insight into the Pros and Cons of Graco all in one car seat.
The primary reason for a car seat is to protect a child during an accident. To confirm the safety feature of the Graco 4ever, one would expect to be involved in an accident which we don’t hope for.
Unfortunately, there were parents and families who were involved in car accidents with this car seat installed and their child strapped in it. Fortunately, their kids were safe with no scratch.
Safe to say the car seat is indeed safe.
Beyond that, the car seat manufacturer carries out several rigorous tests on their products to ensure it offers the protection your child deserves.
Car seats are generally challenging to install or tighten. This is common across many brands.
However, Graco considers this challenge and provides additional installation features to make it easier when using either of the two methods – the InRight™ LATCH attachment when installing with the LATCH system and the Integrated belt lock-off when installing with the Seat belt.
Many parents attest to the ease of installation and give it an excellent rating of super easy to install and secure in both rear and forward-facing.
Note: do not install using the LATCH system in forward-facing when a child is weighing more than 45 lbs.
This car seat is really comfortable for a child. The fabric is breathable and permits good airflow. The newborn inserts also provide extra comfort for smaller babies (min weight – 4 lbs.).
While this car seat is designed for use from rear-facing and newborns weighing a minimum of 4 lbs., some parents find it a challenge to keep their newborn comfortable in the car seat.
You need to be aware that the seat allows for reclining in 3 different positions (1-3) when rear-facing. This allows your child to be in the perfect position to keep their head in place and also keep them comfortable.
On the other hand, you can use this car seat right from the beginning for a newborn; some parents will prefer to start with an infant seat for up to 10 – 12 months before transitioning to a convertible car seat when the child has more control of their neck.
If you must use this convertible car seat for your newborn, then position 1 would be the perfect recline position as it helps keep the baby’s head in position.
For the head and body support, you are to use both at the same time and not one alone. Head and body support must be used in rear-facing ONLY. When forward-facing, they must be removed.
Where does this product lack?
The Graco 4Ever DLX car seat does not have major cons; however, it is necessary to mention some challenges some parents face due to a wrong approach taken and other details you need to be aware of.
The Graco 4Ever DLX contains flame retardants. Graco claims their chemical contents are safe and that they use below the minimum quantity. Graco also claims their products meet or exceed the American Safety for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) guidelines. These regulatory bodies set the procedures and requirements for chemical substance use. Such chemicals include; halogenated flame retardants, phosphorus-based flame retardants, lead, PFOA, BPA, ortho-phthalates, heavy metals, AZO dyes, etc. However, Graco does not use antibacterial finishes.
As easy as it is to install, it is not exactly the same when uninstalling. It’s not as difficult as you may imagine though; it’s just worth mentioning so as to know what to expect.
While many parents praise the Graco 4Ever for being comfortable, some say otherwise.
What many parents do wrong in common is not installing the car seat properly at the right angle (recline position). Many parents complain that their baby’s head slouches forward in the car seat.
The Graco 4Ever DLX convertible car seat comes in 6-recline positions. These recline positions are for installation to fit in your car and, at the same time, fit your child and give them comfort.
You should note that the car seat should be rear-facing for children weighing under 40 lbs. and should be installed in recline positions 1, 2, or 3, with 1 being perfect for newborns. Positions 4 and 5 are ideal for forward-facing (children less than 40 lbs.), while position 6 is for the belt-positioning booster modes or children weighing more than 40 lbs.
Graco 4Ever DLX 4 in 1 Car Seat Installation
It would be best if you referred to your car seat manual for proper installation guide.
This article on Graco car seat installation guide will help you. You must also use your manual for the exact guideline for the Graco 4Ever DLX model.
Note: do not install using the LATCH system in forward-facing when a child is weighing more than 45 lbs.
Graco 4Ever DLX Review and Unboxing Videos
Graco 4Ever DLX Installation - All 4 Modes
Rear-facing using LATCH
Forward-facing using Seat Belt
How to Remove and Replace Car Seat Cover
Transforming Graco 4Ever to Backless Booster Seat
Graco 4Ever DLX 4-in-1 Car Seat Manual
Final Wrap-Up – Should You Still Consider The Graco 4Ever?
Going over this Graco 4Ever DLX car seat review, it is worth every penny for the several features it offers.
The safety features are not enough reasons to consider this car seat even though it has passed through several crash tests; all car seats are made to meet very stringent federal safety standards. Hence, all car seats are safe.
The other features – ease of installation, ease of use, durability – are great reasons to consider the Graco 4Ever car seat.
However, if you are constrained by budget, there is a near similar model from a rival brand, Safety 1st, the Grow and Go. You will find a detailed comparison between the Graco 4Ever and the Grow and Go here.
There is another popular model from Graco, the Extend2Fit 3-in-1 which features an extended usage of up to 50 lbs. and a 4-position adjustable extension panel for extra legroom. You can read a detailed comparison between the 4Ever DLX vs Extend2Fit 3-in-1 here.
While the Graco 4Ever is not designed with vehicle compatibility in mind, a rival model from Graco, the SlimFit 3-in-1 match this purpose. A compact slim car seat for small cars. Here is a comparison of the Graco 4Ever vs Graco Slimfit.