- Meaning: “young girl,” “fairy maiden,” “beautiful,” “light,” or “oak tree.”
- Gender: Female
- Origin: multiple origins; Germanic, English, Hebrew, and Greek
- Pronunciation: “EH-lah” or “EL-lah”
- Popularity: Ranked #16 in the US in 2021 – popular
- In Hebrew: “goddess” or “oak tree.”
- Biblical verse: Ella is not mentioned in the Bible.
- Spiritual meaning: Associated with qualities such as strength, longevity, illumination, and grace.
- Nicknames: Ellie, El, Elle, Elsie, Lala, Ella-Bella
- Variations: Ellia, Elah, Ela, Elsie, Ellie, Elle, Elly
Keep reading to learn more about Ella name.
Ella Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
The name Ella has a fascinating origin that spans across centuries and cultures, with roots in Germanic, English, Greek, and Hebrew languages. In Germanic origin, Ella means “beautiful fairy woman,” while in English, it means “all.” The name is often linked with traits such as “light,” “bright,” and “star” in different cultures, highlighting its unique and diverse significance.
Ella has been a popular name for centuries and continues to be so. It was most popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, then declined in popularity until it experienced a resurgence in the 21st century, ranking as the 16th most popular name for baby girls in the United States in 2021 and has consistently been among the top 50 names for baby girls since 2003.
Ella Name Pronunciation
Ella is typically pronounced EH-lah or EL-lah, depending on the region or culture. The first syllable can be pronounced like “el” or “ell,” and the second syllable is usually pronounced like “lah” or “luh.” It is a simple and easy-to-pronounce name with a lovely sound.
Ella Name Meaning Hebrew
In Hebrew, the name Ella means “goddess” or “oak tree.” This meaning is derived from the Hebrew word “El,” which means “god.” This association with divinity gives the name Ella a powerful and mystical aura.
In other contexts, Ella may be interpreted from its roots in the Hebrew word ‘El,’ which is ‘God.’ So to say, the name Ella means ‘God is my oath’ or ‘God is my promise.’ Diminutive from the names Eleanor, Ellen, or Elizabeth, which are also Hebrew in origin.
Ella Name Meaning Biblical
No specific verse in the Bible mentions the name Ella. However, the name is associated with the concept of light, which is a powerful symbol of divine illumination and guidance. John 1:5, it says, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”
The name Ella can also be seen as a modern variation of the biblical name Elizabeth. Elizabeth was the mother of John the Baptist and a relative of Mary, the mother of Jesus. Elizabeth means “God is my oath,” and the name is associated with strength, devotion, and faith.
Spiritual Meaning of the Name Ella
The name Ella holds a significant spiritual meaning in various cultures. In ancient times, Ella was often associated with goddesses, symbolizing strength, power, and divine femininity. The name also connects to the oak tree, a symbol of strength, longevity, and wisdom.
Moreover, the name Ella is commonly linked to the concept of “light,” signifying illumination, hope, and guidance. Lastly, Ella has been associated with the term “fairy maiden,” representing beauty, grace, and magic.
Overall, the spiritual meaning of the name Ella is profound, and its origins hold a deep significance that continues to resonate with many people today.
Some popular nicknames you can choose from to call your lovely daughter as a way of endearment include:
- and Elle.
Other variations include Elsie, Lala, and Ella-Bella.
Ella Name Variations
There are several variations of Ella, which can give you more options to customize the name and make it unique to your child. Some suggestions include the following:
Middle Name for Ella
Choosing a middle name for your baby can be just as important as choosing their first name. It can add depth and complexity to the name and also create a unique combination with the first name.
Here are some unique middle name options for Ella:
- Ella Mae
- Ella June
- Ella Sage
- Ella Faye
- Ella Blythe
- Ella Blair
- Ella Sloane
- Ella Pearl
- Ella Liv
- Ella Jo
These middle names provide a variety of options that sound elegant and have a good ring to them. They also complement the simplicity and beauty of the name Ella. When choosing a middle name, it’s essential to consider the flow and rhythm of the entire name and how it will sound when spoken aloud. With these options, you’re sure to find the perfect middle name to complement Ella.
Sibling Names for Ella
If you already have a child named Ella and are thinking of adding another baby to your family, you may want to consider some sibling names that go well with Ella. Some great sibling names for Ella include:
- Emma: Emma and Ella both have the letter “e” in them, which ties them together nicely.
- Isabella: Isabella and Ella have a similar ending that makes them sound like a perfect pair.
- Sophia: This name is popular for girls and sounds similar to the name Ella.
- Oliver: Oliver and Ella have a nice balance of classic and modern sounds.
- Lucas: Lucas and Ella have a similar soft and sweet sound.
- Noah: Noah and Ella have a pleasant contrast of sounds that complement each other well.
- Henry: This is a classic name for boys and pairs well with Ella.
- Benjamin: This is a classic name for boys and pairs well with Ella.
Famous People with the Name Ella
There have been several famous people throughout history with the name Ella. Some notable examples include:
- Ella Fitzgerald: One of the most famous jazz singers of all time, known as the “Queen of Jazz.” Ella Fitzgerald was known for her incredible vocal range and her ability to improvise.
- Ella Baker: An African-American civil rights activist who worked alongside Martin Luther King Jr. and played a crucial role in several organizations, including the NAACP and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
- Ella Woodward: Ella Woodward is a British food blogger and author of the popular cookbook “Deliciously Ella.”
- Ella Purnell: Ella Purnell is a British actress known for her roles in films such as “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” and “Army of the Dead.”
- Ella Eyre: A British singer and songwriter known for her soulful voice and hits such as “Waiting All Night” and “Came Here for Love.”
- Ella Enchanted: A fictional character of the same name in the book and movie, Ella Enchanted is a strong and determined young woman who fights against injustice and prejudice.
Ella Meaning in other Culture and Languages
Ella is a name that transcends cultural and linguistic boundaries, with its popularity growing worldwide. The name has different meanings and interpretations in various cultures and languages.
Ella Name Meaning in Greek
In Greek, Ella means “bright,” “torch,” or “shining light.” It is derived from the Greek word “helios,” which means “sun.” In ancient Greece, the name was associated with the goddess Helios, who was the personification of the sun. This meaning conveys a sense of brightness and light.
Ella Name Meaning in Italian
In Italian, Ella means “she.” This meaning is different from the English meaning of Ella. It is derived from the Latin word “illa,” which means “that woman.” The name was commonly used as a nickname for girls in Italy.
Ella Name Meaning in Latin
In Latin, Ella means “she” or “girl.” This is similar to the Italian meaning of Ella and could be a great choice if you are looking for a name with a Latin origin.
Ella Name Meaning in Spanish
In Spanish, Ella means “she.” This meaning is also similar to the Italian and Latin meanings of Ella and could be a good choice for parents looking for a name of Spanish origin.
Ella Name Meaning in Irish
Ella has its roots in the Irish language, where it is often seen as a variation of the name Ailbhe, which means “white” or “bright.” In Irish mythology, Ailbhe was the name of a warrior who fought alongside the famous hero Fionn MacCumhail.
The name Ella may also be derived from the Irish word “éilí,” which means “light” or “torch,” further emphasizing the name’s association with brightness and illumination.
Overall, the name Ella holds a significant meaning in Irish culture, representing qualities such as purity, clarity, and bravery.
Is Ella a rare name?
No, Ella is not a rare name. It has been a popular name for girls for many years and currently ranks in the top 20 most popular names for girls in the United States.
What is a longer name for Ella?
Ella can be short for several longer names, including Eleanor, Elizabeth, Gabriella, Isabella, and Arabella.
Is the name Ella in the Bible?
The name Ella is not mentioned in the Bible. However, the name has been associated with many biblical characters, including Elijah and Elisha, who were prophets in the Old Testament.
In conclusion, the name Ella holds significant meaning and history, making it an attractive choice for parents who want to give their daughters a unique and meaningful name.
Whether you prefer a traditional or modern middle name, there are many options to complement the simplicity and charm of Ella.
Ultimately, the decision rests on personal preference and what feels suitable for your family. Whatever middle name you choose, Ella will undoubtedly bring joy and positivity to your child’s life.